What is the Association of Trauma Nurses All About?
ACTN is a professional non-profit organization whose mission is to align nurses interested in providing optimal trauma care and to promote initiatives related to prevention, education, research, and leadership in trauma.
We are striving to accomplish this:
- By becoming available as a nursing organization to advise on trauma care and injury prevention.
- By providing trauma and injury prevention education for its members.
- By developing and promoting a new trauma network for Canadian nurses.
- By building coalitions with key partners in trauma care and injury prevention.
- To become a future source of financial assistance to attend trauma and injury prevention related educational events.
- By becoming actively involved as a professional specialty nursing organization.
- By supporting clinical nursing leaders to mentor and role model optimal trauma care.
- By promoting high standards of quality for trauma patient care inter-professionally.
- By establishing standards and create awareness of best trauma practices.
- By promoting and sharing of ideas and expertise in trauma standards of practice, education, research and optimal patient care.
- By promoting trauma research.
- By advocating to governments to implement legislation designed to reduce the incidence of injury.
- By helping to provide sources of evidence-based information for trauma care and prevention.
Functions of ACTN shall be to:
- Define and support trauma nursing through the trauma continuum.
- Develop and promote a Canadian network for trauma nurses.
- Promote active involvement in professional and specialty nursing organization(s).
- Support clinical nursing leaders to mentor and role model optimal trauma care.
- Promote trauma standards of practice, education, research, and optimal clinical care.
- Provide and promote educational opportunities for the continuing development of trauma nurses.
- Be available to advise as a Canadian voice for trauma nursing on legislation and government programs related to trauma care and injury prevention.
- Act as a source for evidence-based information on trauma care and prevention.
- Support multiprofessional collaboration in the development of optimal trauma care and injury prevention.